Founded in 1737, the University of Göttingen is a research university of international renown with a strong focus on research-based teaching. Among the features that set the University apart from others are its remarkable subject diversity in the humanities, excellently equipped facilities for work in the natural sciences, and the outstanding quality of the research being undertaken in its profile areas. In the period 2007 to 2012, the Georg-August-Universität received funding within the Excellence Initiative of the German Federal and State Governments for its Institutional Strategy ‘Göttingen. Tradition – Innovation – Autonomy’. All measures set out in this strategy have now been implemented, and the University will continue to pursue the successfully established instruments beyond 2012 in order to advance further the University’s positive development in research and teaching.
Its great research tradition and wide spectrum of disciplines are among Göttingen University’s special strengths. It also profits from being closely integrated into an exceptional environment of non-university research institutions, including the Göttingen Academy of Sciences and Humanities, the German Primate Center, the German Aerospace Center and five Max Planck Institutes. This network of on-site partners forms a successful alliance in research and teaching activities that may be termed unique in the Federal Republic of Germany: the Göttingen Campus.
The University’s proportion of students from abroad – more than 13 per cent of the entire student body – is clear evidence of the considerable attraction exerted by Göttingen University in the international context. The University is further intensifying its activities in the area of internationalisation and is represented in China and India by its own liaison offices.
The university conducts research in the following fields which are of particular relevance to companies in the field of measurement sciences:
- Neuronal networks and non-linear dynamics
- Solid state physics (superconductivity, high-temperature superconductivity)
- X-ray microscopy
- Oscillation and laser physics
- Synthesis and structure of metal clusters
- Natural compound chemistry
- Development of selective and efficient synthesis methods and medical chemistry
- Isolation and total synthesis of alkaloids, antibiotics and biologically active carbohydrates
- Atmospheric chemistry
- Macromolecular chemistry
- Dynamics and kinetics of structure-forming processes
- Applied environmental researchIsotope geochemistry
- Genetics and ultra-structures of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria
- Genetic engineering
- Biochemical analysis of fermentation metabolism
- Protein design